Global Scholars of Distinction: Start Local. Go Global.
Global Scholars of Distinction “travel” the world! From home, our campuses in Anson and Union Counties, or by study abroad, students can access courses, webinars, presentations, films, field trips, or international travel that enhance their understanding of the world and its people.
UNC Chapel Hill’s World View Program created a video for prospective Global Scholars of Distinction. It explains the benefits of global education and the collaboration between UNC Chapel Hill, South Piedmont Community College, and the other community colleges in the consortium.
Students who complete the program earn Global Scholar of Distinction on their transcripts, graduation honors cords, and a certificate of completion from UNC Chapel Hill.
Global Scholars Program Description
Global Scholars of Distinction is an academic program that provides SPCC students with global competencies and skills needed for success at universities that focus on global education and for employment in the 21st century work place.
SPCC is a member of UNC’s World View program for community colleges, NC Global Distinction Initiative. The UNC program is designed to help community colleges globalize the curriculum and increase faculty and student involvement in global issues. Students will develop global competencies and skills needed to succeed at universities and in the workforce.
Students in any SPCC degree program may participate in Global Scholars of Distinction.
To apply and remain in the program, students must:
- Have/maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5
To complete the SP Global Scholars of Distinction Program, students must:
- Complete 15 hours of credit from courses with a global designation
- Participate in a total of 8 “Passport Activities”
- Participate in an approved study abroad or international service learning experience OR complete 30 hours of experiences related to cultural, international, and global study
- Complete a capstone project that includes an in-depth exploration of their program learning
Benefits of SP Global Scholars of Distinction:
- Scholarship, internship, service learning, and employment opportunities
- Provides a global learning foundation for the university and career
- Enhances careers in law, business, culinary arts, education, language, journalism, communication, human services, engineering, advertising and graphic design, government, military service, international studies, global studies, criminal justice, and international business
- Notation on your academic transcripts and graduation honors cords
- Certificate of Completion from South Piedmont Community College
Studying abroad was the most transformative and beautiful experience of my academic years. Traveling to Europe allowed me to discover more about myself and the world around me; I was exposed to so much knowledge and diversity during such a brief stay.
I was able to put to test what I had learned in global courses at SPCC and immersed myself in studies outside of the school’s curriculum, which aided me in my development as a student and an artist. During my stay, I was a constant witness to the potential of human labor and intellect, and I still gain inspiration from the photos, data, and people that I had the pleasure to meet.
I have greatly expanded my cultural awareness and started to see the world with different eyes when I returned: It is now easier to be accepting and adapt to multicultural environments. Becoming a Global Scholar has been an unforgettable adventure, and I am overjoyed to present myself as a citizen of the world.