State Authorization and Complaint Procedures

State Authorization

South Piedmont Community College has been approved by North Carolina to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). SARA represents an agreement between all affiliated states, districts, and territories and indicates that each institution adheres to comparable national standards for interstate post-secondary education opportunities for learners. SPCC is able to offer online distance education classes to students residing in affiliate states and territories which includes 49 states (all but California), the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

State Authorization is a legal issue dealing with a college’s adherence to state requirements for colleges to secure authorization to offer instruction in that state. Compliance with individual state requirements is now part of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, Amended 2010. Institutions offering distance education courses or programs must provide current and prospective students with the contact information for filing complaints with the college, its accrediting agency, and with the state agencies that handle complaints in the students’ state of residence.

The State Authorization Federal Regulation Chapter 34, ß 600.9(c)

If an institution is offering post-secondary education through distance or correspondence education to students in a State in which it is not physically located or in which it is otherwise subject to State jurisdiction as determined by the State, the institution must meet any State requirements for it to be legally offering distance or correspondence education in that State. An institution must be able to document to the Secretary the State’s approval upon request.

Student Complaint Procedures

In compliance with state regulations and with the U.S. Department of Education, South Piedmont Community College desires to resolve student complaints in a fair, timely and effective manner.  Students who desire to resolve a grievance should follow South Piedmont’s Student Grievance Policy and Procedure which can be found in the SPCC Student Handbook. Please use the following link to access the digital grievance form: SPCC Grievance Form

Students should exhaust all possible avenues of complaint resolution before going outside of the college.  For assistance with the grievance procedure, students may contact:

Elaine Clodfelter, Director of Student Advocacy and Accountability
Email: eclodfelter@spcc.edu
Office: 704-272-5302
PO Box 126, Polkton NC  28135

The State Authorization Unit of the University of North Carolina System Office serves as the official state entity and acts as the clearinghouse to receive complaints concerning post-secondary institutions that are authorized to operate in North Carolina. If students are unable to resolve a complaint through the institution’s grievance procedures, they can review the Student Complaint Policy (PDF) and submit their complaint using the online complaint form at https://studentcomplaints.northcarolina.edu/form. For more information, send an email to: studentcomplaint@northcarolina.edu or review information at North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaint Website.

NC Office of Post-Secondary Education Complaints

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
223 S. West Street, Suite 1800
Raleigh, NC 27603
(919) 962-4550

Website: https://www.northcarolina.edu/post-secondary-education-complaints/
Email: studentcomplaint@northcarolina.edu

For Out-of-State Online Students Grievance

South Piedmont Community College students residing outside the state of North Carolina who desire to resolve a student grievance are encouraged to follow South Piedmont’s internal grievance procedure as shown in the SPCC Student Handbook. If an issue cannot be resolved internally, a complaint may be filed with SARA North Carolina, with the student’s home state, or with South Piedmont Community College’s accrediting agency SACSCOC. Please see contact information below.

Contact information for SARA North Carolina:
SARA North Carolina Director
c/o SARA North Carolina
PO Box 41349
Raleigh, NC 27629
Phone: (855) 727-2162, toll free
Fax: (919) 248-6667

Email: complaint@saranc.org
SARA North Carolina Website
Student Complaint Process
Student Complaint Form

SACSCOC Complaint Procedures

South Piedmont Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees. South Piedmont Community College also may offer credentials such as certificates and diplomas at approved degree levels. Questions about the accreditation of South Piedmont Community College may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).

Contact information for SACSCOC:
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Phone: (404) 679-4500
SACSCOC Complaint Policy

Out-of-State Student Grievance Information:



Contact information


Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 302000
Montgomery, AL 36130-2000
Telephone: 334-242-1998
Fax: 334-242-0268

Alabama Student Complaint Process


Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811‐0505

Alaska Student Complaint Process


Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education

1400 W. Washington St.
Phoenix, AZ 85007

Arizona Student Complaint Form


Arkansas Department of Higher Education

425 Main St., Suite 400
Little Rock, AR 72201
(501) 371-2000
Arkansas Department of Higher Education

Arkansas Student Complaint Form


California Department of Consumer Affairs

Consumer Information Center
1625 North Market Blvd., Suite N-112
Sacramento, California 95834
(833) 942-1120
California Department of Consumer Affairs Complaints

California Student General Online Complaint Form


Colorado Department of Higher Education

1560 Broadway, Suite 1600
Denver, CO 80202

Colorado Student Complaint Process


Office of Higher Education

61 Woodland Street
Hartford, CT 06105‐2326
Telephone: 860-947-1822

Connecticut Student Complaint Process


Delaware Department of Education

Delaware Department of Education
Accountability and Performance
The Townsend Building
401 Federal Street, Suite 2
Dover, Delaware 19901
(302) 735-4090

Delaware Department of Education

District of Columbia

District of Columbia Education Licensure Commission

810 First Street, NE 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20002

District of Columbia Student Complaint Process


Florida Department of Education

Commission for Independent Education
325 W. Gaines Street, Suite 1414
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400
Fax: 850-245-3238

Florida Student Complaint Process


Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission

2082 East Exchange Place, Suite 220
Tucker, GA 30084-5305
Telephone: 770-414-3300
Fax: 770-414-3309

Georgia Student Complaint Rules


Hawaii Post-secondary Education Authorization Program

P.O. Box 541
Honolulu, HI 96809

Hawaii Student Complaint Form


Idaho Board of Education

650 West State Street
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720‐0037
Telephone: 208-334-2270
Fax: 208-334-2632

Idaho Student Complaint Process


Illinois Board of Higher Education

1 N Old State Capitol Plaza, Suite 333
Springfield, IL 62701-1377
Institutional Complaint Hotline:

Illinois Student Complaint Process


Indiana Board for Proprietary Education

Board for Proprietary Education
Indiana Commission for Higher Education
101 West Ohio Street Suite 300
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204-4206
(317) 464-4400
Indiana Board for Proprietary Education Agency Overview
Indiana Board for Proprietary Education Student Complaint

Indiana Student Complaint Process


Iowa College Student Aid Commission

430 East Grand Ave.
5th Floor
Des Moines, IA 50309-1920
Telephone: 515-725-3400

Iowa Student Complaint Process


Kansas Board of Regents

1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612‐1368
Telephone: 785-296-3421

Kansas Student Complaint Process


Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education

Director of Postsecondary Licensing
Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capitol Center Dr.
Suite 320
Frankfort, KY 40601

Kentucky Student Complaint Process


Louisiana Board of Regents Consumer Protection Division Office of the Attorney General

Consumer Protection Division
Office of the Attorney General
P.O. Box 94005
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005
Telephone: 1-800-351-4889

Louisiana Student Complaint Process


State of Maine Department of Education

23 State House Station
Augusta, Maine, 04333-0023

Maine Student Complaint Form


Maryland Higher Education Commission

Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division
200 St. Paul Place
Baltimore, MD 21202

Maryland Student Complaint Process


Massachusetts Board of Higher Education

Alex Nally
SARA Coordinator
Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
One Ashburton Place, Room 1401
Boston, MA 02108
Massachusetts State SARA Website

Massachusetts Student Complaint Process


State of Michigan

Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs
Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau
Administrative Services Section-Complaint Intake
P.O. Box 30018
Lansing, MI 48909

Michigan Student Complaint Form


Registration & Licensing Minnesota Office of Higher Education

1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108
Telephone: 1-800-657-3866

Minnesota Student Complaint Process


Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation

3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211-6453
Telephone: 601-432-6372
Fax: 601-432-6225

Mississippi Student Complaint Process


Missouri Department of Higher Education

205 Jefferson Street
P.O. Box 1469
Jefferson City, MO 65102‐1469
Telephone: 1-800-473-6757
Fax: 573-751-6635

Missouri Student Complaint Info


Montana University System Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education

2500 Broadway
P.O. Box 203201
Helena, MT 59620-3201
Telephone: 406-444-6570

Montana Student Complaint Process


Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 95005
Lincoln, NE 68509-5005
Telephone: 402-471-2847

Nebraska Student Filing a Complaint


Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education

8778 South Maryland Parkway, Suite 115
Las Vegas, NV 89123

Nevada Student Filing a Complaint

New Hampshire

New Hampshire Department of Education, Division of Higher Education, Higher Education

101 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301
Telephone: 603-271-3494

New Hampshire Student Filing a Complaint

New Jersey

New Jersey Secretary of Higher Education

20 West State Street, 4th Floor
P.O. Box 542
Trenton, NJ 08625-0542
Telephone: 609-292-7225

New Jersey Student Complaint Process

New Mexico

New Mexico Higher Education Department

2044 Galisteo St., Suite 4
Santa Fe, NM 87505
Telephone: 505-476-8400

New Mexico Student Complaint Form

New York

Office of College and University Evaluation New York State Education Department

89 Washington Ave., Room 969 EBA
Albany, NY 12234
Telephone: 518-474-1551
Fax: 518-486-2779

New York Student Filing a Complaint

North Carolina

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints223 S. West Street, Suite 1800
Raleigh, NC 27603
(919) 962-4550

North Carolina Complaints

Filing a Complaint

North Dakota

Director of Distance Education & State Authorization

600 East Capital Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58501-1217
Telephone: 701‐328‐2678

North Dakota Student Filing a Complaint


Ohio Department of Higher Education

25 South Front Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Telephone: 614-466-6000

Ohio Student Filing a Complaint


Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education

655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Telephone: 405-225-9100

Oklahoma Student Complaint Process


Higher Education Coordinating Commission

ATTN: Complaints-ODA
775 Court St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
Telephone: 503-947-5716

Oregon Student Complaint Form


Bureau of Postsecondary & Adult Education Pennsylvania Department of Education

333 Market Street, 12th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17126‐0333

Pennsylvania Student Complaint Form

Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico Council on Higher Education

P.O. Box 19900
San Juan, PR 00910-1900
Telephone: 787-641-7100
Fax: 787-641-2573

Puerto Rico Council on Higher Education Student Complaint

Rhode Island

Commissioner of Higher Education Rhode Island Office of Higher Education

Shepard Building, Suite 524
80 Washington Street
Providence, RI 02903
Telephone: 401-456-6008

Rhode Island Student Complaint Process

South Carolina

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education Academic Affairs & Licensing

1122 Lady St., Suite 300
Columbia, SC 29201
Telephone: 803-737-2260
Fax: 803-737-2297

South Carolina Student Complaint Form

South Dakota

South Dakota Board of Regents

306 E. Capitol Ave., Suite 200
Pierre, SD 57501

South Dakota Student Complaint Form


Tennessee Higher Education Commission

Division of Postsecondary State Authorization
404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1900
Nashville, TN 37243
Telephone: 615-741-3605

Tennessee Student Complaint Process


Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board

College Readiness & Success Division
P.O. Box 12788
Austin, TX 78711-2788
Telephone: 512-427-6101

Texas Student Complaint Process


Utah Division of Consumer Protection

Utah Division of Consumer Protection
160 East 300 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
(801) 530-6601

Utah Student Complaint Process


Vermont Department of Education

120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05620‐2501
Telephone: 802-828-3135

Vermont Student Complaint Process


Virginia State Council of Higher Education

101 N. 14th St., 10th Floor
James Monroe Bldg.
Richmond, VA 23219
Telephone: 804-225-2600

Virginia Student Complaint Process


Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board

Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board
128 10th Avenue SW
P.O. Box 43105
Olympia, Washington 98504-3105
(360) 709-4600

Complaint Process

West Virginia

West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission Community & Technical College System of West Virginia

1018 Kanawha Blvd. East, Suite 700
Charleston, WV 25301
Telephone: 304-558-4016

West Virginia Student Complaint Process


Wisconsin Educational Approval Board

Department of Safety and Professional Services
1400 East Washington Avenue
Room 112
Madison, Wisconsin 53703
(608) 266-2122
Wisconsin Educational Approval Board

Wisconsin Student Complaint Process


Wyoming Department of Education

Hathaway Building, 2nd Floor
2300 Capitol Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82002‐0050

Wyoming Student Complaint Form

State Portal Entity Contact

Professional Licensure

Students who do not live in North Carolina and are considering a program at South Piedmont Community College that leads to licensure or certification should contact the appropriate individual listed for a specific program. 

The mailing address for each program that leads to professional licensure is below:
4209 Old Charlotte Highway
Monroe, NC 28110

Students may review the list of licensure disclosures located here – Professional Licensure Disclosures by State.

Basic Law Enforcement Technology (BLET)
Mike Smith
Email: jsmith@spcc.edu
Office: 704-290-5884
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by State

CDL Class B
Gabriela Danley
Email: gdanley@spcc.edu
Office: 704-290-5212
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by State

Computed Tomography
Mez Chen
Email: mchen@spcc.edu
Office: 704-701-0480
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by State

Early Childhood Education
Tonya Silas
Email: tsilas@spcc.edu
Office: 704-290-5864
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by State

Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
Troy “Sam” Bishop
Email: tbishop@spcc.edu
Office: 704-290-5817
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by State

Firefighter Training
Troy “Sam” Bishop
Email: tbishop@spcc.edu
Office: 704-290-5817
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by State

General Medical Sonography
Britney Smith
Email: bsmith@spcc.edu
Office: 704-290-5209
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by State

Ben Dorfield
Email: bdorfield@spcc.edu
Office: 704-272-5365
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by State

Mez Chen
Email: mchen@spcc.edu
Office: 704-701-0480
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by State

Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Mez Chen
Email: mchen@spcc.edu
Office: 704-701-0480
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by State

Certified Nurse Aide (CNA I)
Donna Lee
Email: dlee@spcc.edu
Office: 704-290-5217
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by State

Nursing – ADN, CNA II, LPN, LPN Refresher
Britney Stegall
Email: bstegall@spcc.edu
Office: 704-290-5826
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by State

Lori Laney
Email: llaney@spcc.edu
Office: 704-290-5825
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by State

Real Estate
Stephanie Gilbert
Email: sgilbert@spcc.edu
Office: 704-993-2404
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by State

Therapeutic Massage
Tim Reischman
Email: treischman@spcc.edu
Office: 704-290-5867
Information on Professional Licensing Boards by Stat

What's My Path?