The Education Stars program helps child care providers pursue advanced degrees by enabling them to earn credits for EDU classes free of charge.
Eligible students must be employed full time at a licensed child care facility in Union County.
- Tuition, books, and fees are paid for by Education Stars.
- Classes are offered in the evening so job time is not missed.
- Classes are offered face to face, blended, or in an online format.
- You can take EDU 119 (required for your NC State credential) for free.
Information for Child Care Center Directors
In the field of early childhood education, qualified teachers are in high demand. Education Stars is helping to meet that demand.
The Education Stars Director will work with you to set up a site visit where your employees can learn about available programs, sign up for classes, and speak directly with the Education Stars Director.
Through the Education Stars program, child care centers can encourage workers to obtain the further education needed to raise the center’s star rating.
There is no monetary cost to the center or teacher.
Information for Students
The Education Stars program allows you to continue your education and earn Early Childhood Education credits at no charge. You can take classes on a part time or full time schedule. EDU credits earned can be applied to one or more of the following programs:
- Early Childhood Education (ECE) Practitioner Pathway Degree (A55220A)
- ECE Transfer Pathway Degree (A55220B)
- ECE Diploma (D55220)
- ECE Preschool Certificate (C55220C)
- ECE Pre-K Special Education Certificate (C55220F)
- ECE Administration Certificate (C55220D)
- Infant Toddler Care Certificate (C55290)
If you are a current child care employee in a licensed center in Union County, or a child care center director, please contact Stacey Fleming at SFleming@spcc.edu, or 704-993-2415 for questions or to schedule a visit.
Education Stars is a South Piedmont program in partnership with and funded by The Alliance for Children.
The Smart Start Resource Center
The Smart Start Resource Center offers educational materials for children birth through five years of age. For a low membership fee, parents can borrow items such as toys, books, dramatic play items, literature kits and musical instruments for children’s playtime. SPCC student, faculty, and staff will receive a free membership.
- Come and take a tour of the SSRC
- Story Time: We are Going on a Leaf Hunt
- Craft activity for We are Going on a Leaf Hunt
- SSRC Resources in Action