2023 Commencement Ceremony
Saturday, May 13, 2023
South Piedmont Community College Old Charlotte Highway Campus
Time: 10:00 a.m.
The 2023 commencement includes degree, diploma, and certificate graduates from the 2022 Fall semester and potential graduates from the 2023 Spring and upcoming 2023 Summer semesters.
Graduates will have the opportunity to walk across the stage while their name is called and have their photo taken with the SPCC President.
The ceremony will be available on livestream for friends and families that are unable to attend in-person. Visit the SPCC main webpage on May 13, 2023 to view the livestream ceremony.
**Regalia and payment are required for any graduate that would like to participate in the May 2023 commencement ceremony. The deadline to purchase Regalia is March 25, 2023. The deadline to complete the graduation application is March 31, 2023.
All graduation and commencement communication will be sent via SPCC email.
The deadline to purchase regalia (black cap, gown & tassel) is March 25, 2023.
Submitting your graduation application in Self-Service, paying the graduation fee and ordering your graduation regalia from GraduationSource (Make sure to choose “Pick-up at SPCC”) reserves your seat for commencement.
- Any regalia not purchased through GraduationSource (Make sure to choose “Pick-up at SPCC”) must be approved by the Registrar’s office. Contact the Registrar’s office at 704-272-5328 or email@example.com to set up a time to bring your regalia to campus for approval.
- If purchasing regalia poses a financial hardship please contact the Registrar’s office at 704-272-5328 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regalia orders will be mailed to SPCC and will be available for pick-up at the Graduation Fair.
Special accommodations for you or your guest(s) can be requested on the graduation form or by emailing email@example.com. Please include the graduate’s name.
- Graduates need to arrive at the OCH Main building at least 1 hour before the ceremony start time. Upon arrival, graduates will proceed to the check-in table inside the Main Building.
- Dress appropriately. Commencement is a formal event and appropriate attire is expected. You will be standing for periods of time, navigating stairs and walking outside on uneven grass and concrete. Comfortable shoes are highly recommended (not responsible for damaged footwear). Caps should be worn to rest FLAT on your head, with the tassel hanging over your right eye.
- Do not bring personal belongings other than regalia.
- Campus will open for parking at 8:00 am. Arrive with parking pass on rearview mirror.
- Security and SPCC staff will direct graduates and guests.
- The ceremony typically lasts one to two hour.
- Graduates will participate in the processional, speeches, awarding of credentials (Graduates will remain in their seats during the entire event) and recessional.
- Guests may meet their graduates outside the main building after the completion of the recessional.
Graduation Photos of all participating graduates will be taken by: Classic Photography https://classic-photo.com/. Students will receive an email after commencement with information to purchase photos.
Tickets and parking passes are required for entrance to the commencement ceremony. Each 2023 graduate will receive up to 6 guest tickets as requested on their graduation form. Tickets, parking passes, and commencement instructions will be given to graduates at the graduation fair.
- Graduates will receive a parking pass, but do not need a ticket
- Pictures of tickets will not be accepted
- Children under the age of 4 do not need a ticket if they sit on a ticketed guests lap
- There will be room at the back of the audience for guests with strollers
Degree, diploma, or certificate
Provided that you have met all of the requirements of your degree, an email will be sent to your SPCC email 2 to 4 weeks after commencement. Your credential will be available for pick-up at the location you designated on your Graduation Form.
If you are unable to pick-up your credential, you can designate someone else to pick-up your credential by emailing the designees name to firstname.lastname@example.org or you can call the business office (704-290-5849 or 704-272-5355) to pay to have your credential mailed to you. The fee for mailing just a credential is $5. The fee for mailing the hardcover case is $10.
To View Your Progress
- Log into Self-Service with your Username and Password.
- Select Student Planning
- View Your Progress – Select Go to My Progress. View or scroll through all your active academic programs and review with an advisor as needed
Reading Your Program Progress
- Look at each requirement/category. You can Show/Hide Details on each requirement for more detailed information. Detailed questions should be discussed with your advisor.
Red/Not started indicates course still needed
Green/Completed indicates course completed
Green/In-Progress indicates course registered for, but not completed
Yellow/Planned indicates you have planned but not registered for the course
- “Other courses” that appear at the end of “My Progress” indicate those courses that do not meet any program requirements, such as developmental, withdrawn, failed, never attended, audit, repeated, or transfer courses. Always check with an advisor to see if any of these courses can apply toward the completion of a requirement. If so, your advisor can submit a course substitution.
View a New Program “What If” Feature
To explore how the courses you have completed may apply toward the requirements for other programs, you can select “View a New Program” using the tab that appears beside your current active program. From there, you can search through programs offered at SPCC. Once you select a program, scroll down to the bottom to “View Program“. It will appear and you may review. The following message will appear: “You are not enrolled in this program. The display of this program information is temporary and it will be removed as you leave or refresh this page.”
If you decide that you want to change or add programs, you must initiate the process through Academic Advising.
If you think your program progress is incorrect, contact the Registrar’s Office at phone # 704-272-5328 or email@example.com Give your name, curriculum, Colleague ID number, and the nature of the error.