Counselors frequently administer structured career assessments as part of the counseling process for those uncertain of their career direction. This helps them explore their own interests, values, personality and other characteristics as they pertain to occupational decision making. Some require interpretation sessions with a counselor while others allow for more independent exploration.
Most modern assessments can now be taken online and their results often link directly to corresponding occupational informational databases, allowing for more seamless occupational exploration.
Assessment Administered by SPCC Counselors
Interest Assessments – Gain insight into your unique interests and how they align with the work world and various potential career & education paths.
- Strong Interest Inventory® Profile with College Profile and Interpretive Report – Sample Report
- iStartStrong Report® (Abbreviated report following Strong Interest Inventory®) – Sample Report
Personality Assessment – Understand your personality and natural preferences for relating to others and the world so you can identify career environments you may most naturally thrive in.
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)® Career Report – Sample Report
Open Access Self-Assessment Tools
While many self-assessment tools exist online, these are some of the more comprehensive and integrated tools available for NC residents.
- Learn About Yourself – through Plan for a Career with CFNC.org
- NC Career Clusters Guide – 16 Career Clusters, Career Pathways & Tools to Help you Discover your Interests
- NCWorks Online – Create user account then follow Job Seekers > Career Explorer
These sites provide comprehensive occupational profiles. You can search them independently or in conjunction with the above assessments. Some career assessments above will link you directly to important areas of these sites.
Occupational Outlook Handbook – Provides occupational profiles and projections with a focus on industry status.
O*Net Online – Provides descriptions of occupations and specialties with an emphasis on attributes of individuals.
CareerOneStop Video Library – Provides brief video descriptions for many careers of potential interest.
Need an appointment for confidential career counseling?
Walk-ins welcome based on counselor availability.
Write to us at CareerServices@spcc.edu.
Schedule a counseling appointment through your Starfish account.