SPCC Partners with Columbus McKinnon
South Piedmont Community College is excited to announce its partnership with Columbus McKinnon Corporation in building a new talent pipeline of machinists.
Apprenticeship opportunity – starting wage $17/hour. Earn while you learn! As a Columbus McKinnon new hire, you will have the opportunity to enter the high-demand skilled trade of machining.
The Columbus McKinnon Apprenticeship program is a partnership that brings our community together to help raise awareness and build a talent pipeline for CNC and Manual Machinists. This is an amazing opportunity for individuals to “earn while they learn.”
- Individuals who are interested in pursuing this opportunity can attend an information session to learn more about the program and company before committing to take the WorkKeys North Carolina Career Readiness Certificate (CRC) assessment that certifies their current skill level. (no cost to individuals)
- All individuals who obtain a “Silver” CRC level will have an opportunity to interview with Columbus McKinnon
- Up to 20 candidates will be selected and hired for the apprenticeship program with a starting wage of $17 per hour
- The start date is January 4; apprenticeship training begins January 10
Attend an Information Session to learn more or email: KShields@spcc.edu
Apprenticeships include a structured training plan, with a focus on mastering specific skills an employer needs to fill an occupation within their organization.
In this apprenticeship, you must be hired by Columbus McKinnon.
- Meet the eligibility requirements
- Earn Silver level career readiness certificate
- Interview with Columbus McKinnon (Scheduled Dec. 13 – 17)
- Must be able to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future
- Have a minimum of GED/HS diploma
The ACT WorkKeys National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) is an assessment (test)-based credential issued at four levels; Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze.
- WorkKeys North Carolina Career Readiness Certificate (CRC) assessment – click on link to register
- There is no cost.
No, the training will be conducted at South Piedmont Community College in the Tyson Family Center of Technology – 3509 Old Charlotte Highway, Monroe NC 28111.
- Start date – January 4
- 8-Week Machining Bootcamp: January 10 through March 4
- Class meets Monday – Thursday from 8:00am-5:00pm with 1-hour lunch. (2-months)
- 9-Month MSSC Hybrid Learning: April 4th – Sept 26th; includes self-directed online learning plus
in-person lab on Mondays 8am-4pm
Yes, you will need to have a computer to do the online assignments with internet activity.
2nd Shift: 2:30pm – 10:30pm (Monday through Friday)