Providing Updates for Instructors and Staff
Instructor Checklist for New Canvas Courses
- Review for completeness and customize as needed
- Do not change the “Course Description” or the “Getting Started” sections, except for adding the Census Date towards the bottom of the page.
- Input instructor-specific information
- Review “Instructor Response Time”: Should read “All inquiries will be responded to within 24 hours.”
- Add a Picture
- Link to Simple Syllabus (optional)
- Add assignment Overview (optional). Sans due dates.
- Create a student introduction activity (icebreaker) and/or replace/update the placeholder.
- Preview Start-Up Activity to confirm that questions populate. If not, ask for assistance from eLearning.
- If needed, select “Edit” to adjust the number of questions and point value for each question item. NOTE: Click “Update Group” and “Save” after making changes (Changes will not save unless both are clicked).
- Course Information
- Syllabus Information
- Course Schedule
- Methods of Evaluation
- Link to Modules (optional)
- Create class virtual calls
- Set up Start-Up Activity Due Date
- Review Census Reporting Process
Attendance should be taken daily from the first day of the course section through census and weekly after census until the end of the course section.
Attendance should be accurate and if students don’t attend, they should be contacted.
The Start-up activity needs to be used as the Census date activity.
Click here to find out more about Canvas Training for Instructors.
Email Erika McDaniel (email@example.com) to request a “Sandbox” to practice Canvas.
Go to spcc.instructure.com and log in with your instructor credentials to access Canvas. Click on the “Growing with Canvas” course to participate in an online course to learn about Canvas. Email Erika McDaniel if you do not have access to this course.
Please check out the following videos:
BIBLIU/eBooks and OERs
We have integrated Bibliu eBooks and OER’s into our curriculum. It is accessed directly through Canvas.
Authenticating Bibliu in Canvas
Here are some resources that will help take your course Hyflex.