If you'd like a career in...
This 18 week course is designed to educate technologists in the post-primary practice of MRI.
Core topics include but are not limited to, MRI procedures and equipment operation, patient care (education, preparation, orientation and positioning), patient history and assessment, contrast media usage, scout image, selectable scan parameters, and image processing and display. Students will perform magnetic resonance imaging examinations and duties at various clinical sites under the supervision of MRI technologists. This class includes 144 didactic hours and 444 clinical hours, for a total of 588 hours.
ASRT approved for 28 Category A continuing education units.
Upon completion, students may be eligible to sit for the American Registry of Radiologic Technologist post-primary in MRI.
SPCC Previously Approved Clinical Sites You can choose your own clinical site with submission of a completed Clinical Affiliation Agreement
It is the student’s responsibility to contact the clinical site and ensure that they can be accommodated for the clinical rotation. Some clinical sites require additional information and it is the responsibility of the student to complete and submit this information prior to enrollment.
Pre-requisite: Individuals entering this course must be a registered radiologic technologist, radiation therapist, ultra sound technologist or nuclear medicine technologist. Students must present proof of current ARRT certification.
Cost: $199.40 (plus cost of books, medical document manager, background check & drug screen)
To enroll in MRI
- Enroll with Castle Branch (Package Code is SK18) Upload all required documentation there.
- Take the Student Medical Form to your physical exam. An Employee Health record physical can also be used. Once completed, upload to your Castle Branch account. If you have questions, email Mez Chen.
- Choose your clinical site. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the clinical site of their choice to confirm that a clinical rotation can be accommodated. A link of approved clinical sites can be found at: SPCC Previously Approved Clinical Sites. If you wish to do your clinical at a site that is not listed, print a copy of the Clinical Affiliate Agreement. Get the clinical site to sign this form and email it to Mez Chen. The required signatures will be obtained from SPCC and a finalized contract will be sent to the clinical site. If you are completing your clinical hours with Novant you must visit their website (https://www.novanthealth.org/careers/student-programs.aspx ) and fill out the required forms a month in advance to beginning clinicals. After you have filled them out, email them to, firstname.lastname@example.orgNote: Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center (NHFMC) is not currently accepting long distance learning students
- Once all documentation is approved by Castle Branch, complete the registration form and email to email@example.com
- Once you are registered, an email will be sent to you with the phone number to call to make payment.
- Internet access
- Computer access with word processing (i.e. Microsoft Word)
- Appropriate scrubs and shoes for clinical
- You need to purchase 3 books:
- MRI in Practice, 4th or 5th Edition, Authors: Westbrook, Roth, Talbot. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing
- Handbook of MRI Scanning, Authors: Burghart and Finn. ISBN-13: 978-0323068185
- Sectional Anatomy for Imaging Professionals, 3rd or 4th Edition. Authors: Kelly and Peterson
- Upcoming Classes:
*Paperwork must be turned in a week before the start date*
|Section||Begin Date||End Date|
|NUR 3354a 401W||January 10, 2023||May 16, 2023|
|NUR 3354a 402W||February 14, 2023||June 20, 2023|
|NUR 3354a 403W||March 14, 2023||July 18, 2023|
|NUR 3354a 404W||April 11, 2023||August 15, 2023|
|NUR 3354a 405W||May 9, 2023||September 12, 2023|
|NUR 3354a 406W||June 13, 2023||October 17, 2023|
|NUR 3354a 407W||July 11, 2023||November 14, 2023|
|NUR 3354a 408W||August 8, 2023||December 12, 2023|
|NUR 3354a 409W||September 12, 2023||January 16, 2024|
|NUR 3354a 410W||October 10, 2023||February 13, 2024|
|NUR 3354a 411W||November 14, 2023||March 19, 2024|
|NUR 3354a 412W||December 12, 2023||April 16, 2024|
Graduates should qualify for a variety of jobs, including registered radiologic technologist, radiation therapist, or ultra sound technologist or nuclear medicine technologist.
- MRI – 18 Weeks