This 18 week course is designed to educate technologists in the post-primary practice of MRI.
Core topics include but are not limited to, MRI procedures and equipment operation, patient care (education, preparation, orientation and positioning), patient history and assessment, contrast media usage, scout image, selectable scan parameters, and image processing and display. Students will perform magnetic resonance imaging examinations and duties at various clinical sites under the supervision of MRI technologists. This class includes 144 didactic hours and 444 clinical hours, for a total of 588 hours.
ASRT approved for 28 Category A continuing education units.
Upon completion, students may be eligible to sit for the American Registry of Radiologic Technologist post-primary in MRI.
SPCC Previously Approved Clinical Sites You can choose your own clinical site with submission of a completed Clinical Affiliation Agreement
It is the student’s responsibility to contact the clinical site and ensure that they can be accommodated for the clinical rotation. Some clinical sites require additional information and it is the responsibility of the student to complete and submit this information prior to enrollment.
Individuals entering this course must be a registered radiologic technologist, radiation therapist, ultra sound technologist or nuclear medicine technologist. Students must present proof of current ARRT certification
To enroll in MRI
- Enroll with Castle Branch (Package Code is SK18) Upload all required documentation there.
- Take the Student Medical Form to your physical exam. Once completed, upload to your Castle Branch account.
- Choose your clinical site. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the clinical site of their choice to confirm that a clinical rotation can be accommodated. A link of approved clinical sites can be found at: SPCC Previously Approved Clinical Sites. If you wish to do your clinical at a site that is not listed, print a copy of the Clinical Affiliate Agreement. Get the clinical site to sign this form and email it to email@example.com. The required signatures will be obtained from SPCC and a finalized contract will be sent to the clinical site.
- Once all documentation is approved by Castle Branch, complete the Registration Form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once you are registered, an email will be sent to you with the phone number to call to make payment.
If you want to complete your clinicals with Atrium, please contact Karyn Casper, email@example.com.
If you are completing your clinical hours with Novant you must visit their website (https://www.novanthealth.org/careers/student-programs.aspx ) and fill out the required forms a month in advance to beginning clinicals. After you have filled them out, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center (NHFMC) is not currently accepting long distance learning students
- Internet access
- Computer access with word processing (i.e. Microsoft Word)
- Appropriate scrubs and shoes for clinical
- Books must be purchased
All medical records required must be submitted through Certified Background.
DO NOT MAIL documentation or payment. Payment is accepted by phone or in person only.
$199.40 (plus cost of books, medical document manager, background check & drug screen)
- MRI in Practice , 4th or 5th Edition
Authors: Catherine Westbrook
- Handbook of MRI Scanning
Author: Geraldine Burghart, Carol Ann Finn
- Sectional Anatomy for Imaging Professionals, 3rd or 4th Edition
Authors: Lorrie Kelly
Connie M Petersen
Classes start every 2nd Tuesday of each month
*Paperwork must be turned in a week before the start date*
|Begin Date||End Date|
|November 9, 2020||March 9, 2021|
|December 8, 2020||April 13, 2021|
|January 12, 2021||May 11, 2021|
|February 9, 2021||June 15, 2021|
|March 9, 2021||July 13, 2021|
|April 13, 2021||August 17, 2021|
|May 11, 2021||September 14, 2021|
|June 8, 2021||October 12, 2021|
|July 13, 2021||November 16, 2021|
|August 20, 2021||December 14, 2021|
The North Carolina Community Colleges Governor’s Emergency Relief (GEER) Scholarship offers FREE Tuition for community college students pursuing high-demand workforce training programs.
By Phone: 704-290-5255
In Person: 3509 Old Charlotte Highway, Monroe
For more information, contact:
Mez Chen, 704-701-0480
Graduates should qualify for a variety of jobs, including registered radiologic technologist, radiation therapist, or ultra sound technologist or nuclear medicine technologist.
- MRI – 18 Weeks