The Alex Kahle Foundation has created a $20,000 scholarship for South Piedmont Community College students seeking certifications taking less than a year.
Similar to the Anson Advantage where residents in Anson County can complete a Career in a Year program at no cost, Union County residents will now have a similar opportunity earning certifications in Automotive and Transportation, Construction, Manufacturing, Nursing & Health Science, Public Safety, and STEM.
The Alex Kahle Memorial Scholarship Fund was established in memorial of Kristen Alexandra Kahle (“Alex”) after her passing in November of 2007 during her senior year of high school at Porter Ridge. Alex was born in Union County on March 19, 1990, the only daughter of Dick and Pat Kahle. Pat is the President of the Union County Chamber and serves as a member of South Piedmont’s Board of Trustees and Foundation Board.
“We are so excited that this scholarship will provide recipients with opportunities to become a part of a competitive and high quality workforce,” said Julie Sikes, Vice President of Institutional Advancement at South Piedmont.
According to the Alex Kahle Foundation website and those who knew her, Alex genuinely loved people and wanted to be a friend to all she met. As much as she loved to laugh, she loved to make others laugh even more and often used humor as a way to connect with people she didn’t know. Her empathetic, caring nature made her the first person friends sought out when they needed a shoulder to cry on or someone to lean on. With an open heart, Alex celebrated friends’ accomplishments without envy or prejudice, and was very protective of those she loved.
With this sentiment, helping students who may not otherwise have the opportunity to attend college progress into the workforce through this scholarship would align with Alex and her personality.
When asked on a college application what she would want on her epitaph, Alex wrote, “She Made the Sun Stand Still.” Her impact will in fact make the sun stand still for some students needing financial assistance.
To apply for scholarships at South Piedmont or to learn more about the Alex Kahle Foundation Scholarship, contact Financial Aid at 704-272-5391 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Or visit the SPCC website for more information https://spcc.edu/pay-for-college/scholarships/.
Requirements for scholarship
- Must be a Union County resident.
- Must maintain academic integrity throughout duration of the course.
- Must have a financial need.
- Must attend 80% of scheduled classes.
- Must provide information on job placement related to course to the SPCC Foundation.
- Automotive and Transportation
- Auto Body (12 weeks)
- Transportation – CDL B (18 weeks)
- Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration (1 – 6 months)
- Heating Fundamentals Certificate (10 months, 17 credits)
- Heat Pump Fundamentals Certificate (10 months, 18 credits)
- Refrigeration Certificate (1 0months, 18 credits)
- Construction Technology (16 weeks)
- Electrical Systems
- Basic Level 1 (6 months)
- Basic Level 2 (6 months)
- Food Service management (10 months)
- Industrial Systems Technology – Machining Certificate (10 months, 16 credits)
- Industrial Systems Technology – Maintenance Certificate (10 months, 17 credits)
- Industrial Systems Technology – Welding Certificate (10 months, 17 credits)
- Manufacturing – (12 weeks)
- Welding Processes (16 weeks)
- Welding Level 1 (12 weeks)
- Welding Basic Certificate (10 months, 18 credits)
- Nursing & Health Science
- CNA (8 weeks)
- EMT (13 weeks)
- Medical Office Administration Certificate (10 months, 17 credits)
- Medical Assisting Diploma (48 weeks, 46 credits)
- Medical Lab Assisting Certificate (16 weeks, 16 credits)
- Phlebotomy (10 weeks)
- Public Safety
- Paralegal Technology (10 months, 18 credits)
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Mechatronics (16 weeks)
- Mechanical Engineering Technology – Mechatronics Certificate (10 months, 18 credits)
- Electrical Systems Technology Certificate (10 months, 18 credits)
- Electrical Systems Technology – Industrial and Photovoltaic Wiring Certificate (10 months, 16 credits)
- Electrical Systems Technology – Hydro-Mechanical Certificate (10 months, 16 credits)